1. Harry mentions the names of many places he has visited during his life. With the help of an atlas, locate the towns and list them and the countries they are in.
2. Several times Harry apologizes for the odor of his leg. How did his leg get infected? Research gangrene and determine if Hemingway was accurate in how gangrene develops and if it can be fatal.
3. The relationship between Harry and Helen is quarrelsome throughout the story. Do you feel that was always the way they related? Back up your ideas with examples of their behavior from the story.
4. Harry wanted to go on safari to “work the fat off his soul.” What did he mean by this? Support your answer by excerpts from the story.
5. Pretend you are Helen and write an essay about what she thinks of her husband.
6. Harry believed anything a person did too long became a bore. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
7. In your own words, describe the way death found Harry. What did death feel like? What did it look like?
8. Pick one of Harry’s dream sequences and make a list of the different sensory details he includes in his description.
9. How does Hemingway tie the end of Harry’s story in the plane to the beginning of the story?