1. Different theories on the authorship of the diary have emerged. Some say that Anne’s father completely revised the text. Others contend that much material from the original diary was omitted from the published version. Research this topic, and write a paper explaining which theory you believe to be correct.
2. Elie Wiesel’s book Night is a young boy’s account of the Holocaust. Read Night and compare and contrast it with Anne Frank.
3. Research the Holocaust period and Hitler’s rise to power. Why did people allow a dictator to rule them?
4. After the war, Nazi soldiers were brought to trial for crimes against humanity. Many tried to justify their actions by saying that they were just following orders when they tortured and murdered innocent civilians imprisoned in concentration camps. Do you think that this is a legitimate defense?
5. Research the history of anti-Semitism and discuss why Hitler decided to persecute the Jews.