1. What is the relationship of Ned Land to Captain Nemo? What do they admire and dislike about each other?
2. Why has Captain Nemo renounced living on land? Is he a tragic figure?
3. What makes Professor Aronnax want to stay on the submarine? What makes him decide to flee?
4. What would Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea be like without Conseil? Is he necessary to the action of the novel?
5. The sea provides Captain Nemo with a living, but does it also provide him with a reason to live?
6. Nemo uses the miraculous technology of the Nautilus to destroy. Might he use the submarine to benefit humankind?