1. Compare The Hound of the Baskervilles to several of Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes short stories. Discuss the similarities.
2. Does the nature of the criminal and the crime itself become clear to you before the end of the novel? If so, where and when did you have suspicions?
3. Read one of Edgar Allan Poe’s Inspector Dupin mysteries and compare his character to Sherlock Holmes.
4. There are quite a few film versions of The Hound of the Baskervilles and other Sherlock Holmes stories. Watch one or two of them and compare the two mediums.
5. Research Dartmoor, the English moor around which this novel centers. What are the legends that relate to the moor and its surrounding areas?