1. What are the symbolic differences between the High Place where James Jarvis lives and the valley?
2. St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr, was stoned to death, falsely accused of speaking words against the Holy Land and the law. How is Stephen Kumalo like St. Stephen?
3. Why can’t Stephen Kumalo persuade his sister to change her ways?
4. What elements make Cry, the Beloved Country a novel of protest?
5. If Paton had written this novel today instead of in 1948, how would it be different?
6. Are European and American ideas of Christian principles changed in this African setting?