1. Trace the biblical names in the novel-Absalom, Stephen, Peter and John-to their original stories and show how Paton’s characters resemble the biblical ones.
2. Research recent developments in the anti-apartheid movement and read speeches and sermons by Bishop Desmond Tutu. Compare the situation today with the one described in the novel.
3. Research and report on the history of black Anglican clergymen in South Africa.
4. Read a novel by Nadine Gordimer or J. M. Coetzee and compare it thematically and stylistically to Cry, the Beloved Country.
5. Research and report on how Americans are combating South Africa’s apartheid policy.